Saturday, December 14, 2013

Strange Scriptures: Shut Up! (Just Kidding :)


            (Chapter 1 of Strange Scriptures) Have you ever wondered what the word “Selah” means 

in Psalms? I have. I’ll be reading something, and I’ll randomly see “Selah” at the end of a verse. 

The annoying thing is that I’ve heard the meaning for it a gazillion times, but I always forget! 

Hopefully this time will be different.

            It’s a relatively simple explanation. Originally, the Psalms were meant to be sung. That’s 

why you’ll read “Sing unto the Lord” or some variation of it a thousand times in the psaltery (the 

Psalms were not meant to be read along like prose). All “Selah” means is a break, or a pause, in 

the singing. Instead of hearing voices, the listeners would hear a musical interlude until the 

singer started up again.

            This is sort of like in my church where, after a verse or a chorus, the band will just play 

music while everyone contemplates the lyrics and what they are singing.



P.S. The Hebrew word for “Selah” means “to be silent” (shut up :).

No comments:

Post a Comment