Thursday, December 19, 2013

(Is It Ever Okay to Sin? Post 2) The Premise


            1 Corinthians 10:13 states, “… And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted 

beyond what you are able…” (NIV)

            The King James writes, “… but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted 

above that ye are able…”

             Other Bible versions basically say the same thing. This verse is the premise for the rest 

of my post(s) on this subject. If my interpretation (exegesis) of this verse is incorrect, then, most 

likely, so is my opinion on this subject.

             Now, back to the subject. Is sin justified (excused, okay) in extreme situations if it saves 

lives?

             My personal answer is no. Now, I am a teenager, so no one probably cares about my 

personal opinions. That’s okay. Here is the premise of my position:

            For it to be true (that sin is excused in extreme situations), that would mean that God 

would put us in situations “beyond what (we) are able.” I hope this makes sense. For me to say 

that “sin is okay in certain situations,” I would have to believe that 1 Corinthians 10:13, the great 

doctrinal rock in times of trial (I don’t know how many times I’ve heard it quoted), is wrong.

             For sin to be okay when the going gets tough, I would have to believe that God could put 

me in a situation where disobedience to Him is fine. I don’t know about you, but whenever I read 

the Old Testament (and the Bible in general), one of the major thoughts I come away with is…

God hates sin.

             (I was planning to end the post with that thought, but I just thought of something else. Oh well, 
here is the extension:) Now, for me to turn around and say, “Well, you know, sin is okay if it saves 
lives” would be weird because…

Sin is what kills lives.

            Because sin is what allowed death (spiritual and physical) into the world, I can’t turn 

around and say “sin saves.” I hope this makes sense. Now that I’ve established the premise for 

my position, I’ll go into the historical account of the Hebrew (or Egyptian) midwives and Rahab 

the Harlot. I’ll conclude this topic (unless I want to write more) with a fascinating position I 

came across.

No comments:

Post a Comment