Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Don't You Love Contradictions?


(I’m writing this as I listen to “In the Light” by DC Talk. Though I am a little young, I miss 

them.  I’m glad Kevin Max is with Audio Adrenaline and Michael Tait is with the Newsboys. 

TobyMac has been successful by himself for a while, now.)


  Imagine this scenario in court: the defendant is masterfully evading every jab and thrust from the 

prosecution. Eloquent and convincing, he has everyone in the courtroom on his side. But, alas, the final

 question of the cross-examination is his undoing. The jury rules that yes, it was the butler, in the 

ballroom, with a stick of butter. But… how? The defendant contradicted himself. He could not have 

possibly been in the kitchen and in the bathroom at the same time. The rooms are on opposite 

ends of the mansion; he couldn’t have moved that fast. The butler is guilty.

            I am not an expert in legal lingo (or court proceedings), so please forgive me if I made any 

mistakes. But anyway, the point of the example was to show how contradictions really mess up the 

point someone is trying to make. So when someone tells Christians that the Bible is full of 

contradictions, this accusation cannot be taken lightly. By saying that the Bible contradicts itself, the 

person is implying that we can’t trust it. And if we can’t trust it, (fill in the blank with what you think 

that means for Christianity).

My next couple of posts will deal with supposed Bible contradictions, and how the discrepancy 

disappears when closely examined. But first, whenever someone says that the Bible is full of 

contradictions, you should ask, “Such as?” The majority of people have heard the whole “the Bible is 

full of contradictions” from someone else, the internet, or “experts”. They haven’t really investigated 

the issue or studied any examples. They’ll either tell you they heard that from someone else (which 

makes your job easy; you don’t have to defend any specific accusations) or will make a couple of 

feeble attempts at creating one (which is also easy. Just try the body-language tactic I use on my 

siblings. Whenever they are doing a bad job of implicating me in any family crime, I 

cock my head to the side and raise an eyebrow. It works every time. They say, “Okay, 

okay! So you didn’t steal those cookies.”)

  But occasionally you’ll run across someone who has an iron-clad example where it does appear  

that there is a contradiction. I’ll be dealing with a couple of those.


P.S. There are some great books that deal with some of the most popular contradictions. Here is the 

No comments:

Post a Comment