Monday, November 3, 2014

Lord or Savior?

            I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.
            Oh really?
            I’ve been thinking about that phrase. As a seasoned church kid, I say it a lot. He’s my Lord and Savior. It rolls off the tongue like a rock off a cliff.
            Okay, bad simile. You get my point.
            As Christians, we like the “Savior” part. We are messed up people and Jesus rescues us. That’s the stuff stories are made out of.
            But then we get to the “Lord” part… and the romance fades. Jesus only saves us once, but this “Lord” stuff isn’t a one time event. It’s until we die.
            Ugh.
            The problem with “Lord” is that it means He can tell us what to do. We don’t like being told what to do. If He is Lord, that means we should obey Him. Obedience is so… not 21st century.
            I have an idea! Let’s pretend He’s not Lord and He’s just our Savior! That means all we have to do is thank Him occasionally (say, once a week on a Sunday), and we’re golden! We can live how we want.
            Unfortunately, that’s the route many take. If He’s only your Savior, you only have to thank Him. If He’s also your Lord, you also have to live for Him.
            Who is He to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment