Friday, October 3, 2014

A Tribute to You, My Friend

            “Put a lid on it, butterscotch!”
            That line often came from the mouth of one of the most cheerful kids I’d ever known. He was always smiling. He was always helping. He was an angel in every sense of the word.
            And he died.
            I knew this boy. I loved him. He had great things for the future. Big plans, big dreams. He was the nicest kid you would’ve ever met*.
            Now he’s in Heaven.
            Why? I don’t know why. How could God allow him to die? I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know. As I see his face and his joyful smile and his unique way of telling people to be quiet, it hurts. It hurts to say I don’t know. Why did God take him and not me?
            I can’t tell you the pain his family went through, because I could only look from the outside in. There are scars. But there are memories.
            My mind is unsatisfied with “I don’t know”. I want answers. And my heart breaks because a child should never die. Especially not this child.
            Why did I write this? I don’t know. Maybe it’s to tell you that life is short, so make sure to enjoy it. Maybe it’s to tell you to hold those you love closer, because they may not always be there. Maybe it’s to tell you to remember your Maker, because you will have to face Him one day.
            But what I do know is that the world lost a child who would’ve made an amazing husband and a wonderful father. The world lost a future man of God who loved Jesus dearly. The world lost someone it desperately needs.
            I love you. I miss you, and so does your family. But I know you are happier now than you could've ever been here. This is for you.





*Some people exaggerate the good qualities in people who have died. I am not. This boy was truly one of the sweetest, nicest kids you would’ve ever met. There is no way for me to make you believe that, but if there was, I would try. I’m not exaggerating with anything I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment