Monday, October 6, 2014

Back When I Was Her Age…

             Recently I had the privilege of being able to give advice to a friend who had her 9th birthday. She is going to be something special in the future. Things are definitely looking up for her. So what did I say?
             I told her to stay in the moment and appreciate it. I remembered when I was her age. I couldn’t wait to grow up. I was going to get my license and get MUSCLES (woo-hoo, I was gonna impress the ladies). I was going to be important and make important decisions. 
             Oh yeeeaahhhhhh… about that. I got my license. I still don’t have muscles. I guess I’m making important decisions now… but it’s not overly amazing to do so. And I’m still not very important. So you see, there isn’t a whole lot to growing up, so appreciate the present.
             You’ll grow up whether you want to or not. But you can never stay the age you are now, so learn to love it. Recognize it as fleeting. Hold on to it while you can.
             I was going to end with that, but her mom suggested I continue using my blog. And that’s just what I’m doing now.

More Advice for the 9-Year-Olds of the World

            It will get better with siblings! Especially if you are the oldest. Your brothers will get less annoying and your sisters will acquire a fashion sense that includes other colors besides pink. Lord willing.
            But you need to work on developing relationships with your family NOW. If you shut yourself off now, don’t expect to suddenly be best friends with them once your teenage years start and you need shoulders to cry on. Spend time with your family and get to know them.
            Also, understand your parents aren’t perfect. Now, before you go to your parents in triumph and repeat this fact, understand also that you aren’t perfect, either. Everyone is learning in life, including them.
            Also remember that your parents love you dearly and want what’s best for you. So in the future, when you argue over curfews and rights and what you should be able to do and who that special someone is (“but dadddddd, he’s only murdered a couple people! I love him!”), keep this in mind. In the end, your parents will still be there for you when no one else is.
            I guess I could continue, but this is enough. Just remember that you are only this young for so long, and don’t wish to grow up too soon. But it’s never too young to set yourself up for a great next few years. You can both hold on to the present AND mature as a person. This goes for any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment