Thursday, October 2, 2014

On the Wall: 1

            As I looked into the mirror recently, I realized the mental image I have of myself didn’t exactly match the reflection I was looking at. Was there a huge discrepancy? No, but there were differences. By spending the time to look at myself (I probably sound like a girl), I could see how I really was.
            I wondered about this. Mirrors show who we truly are on the outside (unless you are at a carnival). Is there anything we can use to show who we are on the inside? Or are we just left with our opinion of ourself and others’ opinions of us?

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

            There is a mirror for our soul. Okay, that’s not entirely accurate. There is a standard for our soul. By comparing ourselves to it, we can see where we are and what we need to be.
            Mirrors show who you are. Standards give you a goal or a vision for who you need to be. What is this standard? The Bible.
             In the Bible is someone called Jesus, the perfect human. He is our example of how to walk and talk. If you want to find out more about how to live, read James and Paul’s letters to the Corinthians. If you want to find out how to think, read Romans and Hebrews. If you want to learn of God’s standard, read the Old Testament. If you want to read about humanity’s sinful nature, read 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 and 2 Kings. And every other book.
             The Bible sets the standard for perfection in Jesus. It also tells you how to walk closer to God so that you can be more like Him. By comparing yourself to this standard, you can see where you are now and what you can do to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment