Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I'm Sorry

            I remember something that happened (mercifully) long ago. I was talking with an older friend about life and what’s happened to both of us. And I said something devastatingly mean.
            The worst part was, I didn’t think anything of it. I said it flippantly and continued. But later that day I replayed the conversation and realized my one comment was extremely hurtful. I mean, it was BAD.
            So I went to my friend and I apologized. He forgave me. But it still stings a lot to think about from MY end. I can’t imagine how much I hurt him. I still haven’t forgiven myself.

What about You?

            Have you ever said anything really hurtful? If so, make sure to apologize. It means the world to the person. Don’t let time go by and hope that the pain leaves. It doesn’t; the pain only dulls a little at best.
            Words scar. They linger. No one forgives AND forgets, because only the former is possible. You’ll always remember the hurtful things said to you.
            But when your friend remembers your harsh words, he or she can think fondly about the situation because of how you said you were sorry. They’ll remember how your friendship was strengthened because you were strong enough to humble yourself.
            So don’t wait. Ask for forgiveness. Words damage but they can also heal.
            
            “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.” (Matthew 5:23-24, NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment